Wednesday, May 28, 2014

My Children's Teachers

It's the night before the last day of school for David and Sarah.  As I finished packaging up "Thank you" gifts for their teachers with accompanying notes, I was again reminded of what a blessing my children's teachers have been over the years, both here and in Oklahoma.  When we moved here, we made a decision to transition our kids not only from one state to another but from private school to public school.  We were a little nervous not knowing what the schools were like here or even what it was like to go to public school in the 2000s since James and Jason had been in private school.  We have not regretted the decision.  Almost every year I have had a sense of sadness over moving to a new teacher because we have grown so attached to the one we have.  Tonight was no different as I wrote the teacher notes.  It's especially hard with Sarah's teachers because I know there's no hope of having that teacher again since she's the youngest.  Sarah has had ALL the same teachers as David with the exception of Kindergarten.

This year she had Mrs. Heffernan.  We appreciate her energy and the fact that she likes to have fun.  She also appreciates art and has drawn out the creative side of Sarah this year.  It has been fun to hear Sarah tell stories about Mrs. Heffernan and write songs for and about her.  Everyone loves that Mrs. Heffernan has a great sense of humor.  What a great year it has been for Sarah!!!

David had Mrs. Hilliard.  We also LOVE her.  At his conference at the beginning of the year, she was teary talking about how much she loved David and loved how he loves Jesus and loves other people.  As Brent and I sat and listened to her we both got choked up.  It was so incredible to hear his teacher appreciating this part of his character.  She was a great motivator for David.  He worked hard to please her and met his goal of being on honor roll.  We saw a significant change in his work ethic both last year and this year, and I thank his teachers for this.

We've had so many other teachers in our lives who I could list, but I fear leaving someone out accidentally.  Teachers work so hard and they give so much to so many children.  I don't know how they do it.  I know I couldn't.  Thank you to all the teachers out there who have influenced me and my children.

No comments:

Post a Comment